Modern Water owns a suite of patents that underlie a Forward Osmosis technology platform. At this time Modern Water has the first and only operational seawater plants in the world using Forward Osmosis.
Modern Water has deployed Forward Osmosis as a platform technology to produce both desalinated water and evaporative cooling make-up water, with sites in Oman and Gibraltar. In fact, Modern Water is the only company in the world with a commercial Forward Osmosis plant which is located in Al Najdah in Oman. Construction of the plant was completed in September 2012 and it is now being operated by Modern Water.
Forward Osmosis has proven, depending on the application, to deliver significant operating and capital expenditure savings; reduced chemical consumption; robust fouling resistant membranes; and ultimately a lower carbon footprint than competing technologies.
For further information about our FO technology please see our White Papers page.
The benefits of Forward Osmosis
- Energy savings, up to 30% on challenging waters for desalination and up to 50% for evaporative cooling systems
- Reduced chemical consumption
- Fouling resistant FO process
- Chlorine and biocide tolerant membranes
- Lower levels of boron in product water
- Substantially reduced operating costs
- Increased membrane life
For further information please contact:
Managing Director, Membrane Processes
T: +44 (0) 1483 696 025